Home > Information > Banking for Students

Debit and credit cards from most banks can be used to withdraw cash from machines (ATMs) in the UK.  However, some shops may not accept payment with a non-British card, so you will sometimes need to pay cash.
If you are planning to study in the UK for more than six months, you may want to have access to a bank account in the UK.  We advise students, if they can, to open an account with one of the following banks: Barclays, HSBC, or RBS in their home country before they travel to the UK.  Cards from these banks are widely accepted in the UK.

If you haven’t got an account with a British bank and wish to open one after you arrive, make sure you bring enough money to the UK for your journey and your first few days in the UK.

Students studying for at least six months may wish to open an account with Metro Bank, which has a branch in Canterbury.  You will need your passport, proof of address in the UK and a letter from Hilderstone with details of your enrolment (minimum six months).  Hilderstone will help you with these documents.  There is information on Metro Bank here:

Further information about banking for international students can be found here:
the BBA (British Bankers’ Association) website.

Quality assurance and accreditation of Hilderstone College
Privacy Policy Hilderstone College on social media © Hilderstone College 2018
Email Hilderstone College Hilderstone College ETOs Hilderstone College homepage Hilderstone College on LinkedInHilderstone College on InstagramHilderstone College on Google+Hilderstone College on YouTubeHilderstone College on Twitter Hilderstone College on Facebook